Some Handy Examples of How Non-Sex Working Feminists Can Aid in Critiquing the Sex Industry
- Your women's studies prof: Class, do you think pornography enables male entitlement?
- You: Well, according to this essay I read by someone who does porn, it doesn't make a lot of sense to just critique it as a piece of media + not a site + product of highly stigmatized labor. So, yes, it does, but that may largely be beside the point of where and how male violence occurs in relation to pornography.
- That lady at your local NOW chapter: It is WRONG for men to purchase sex, therefore we must make it illegal.
- You: I agree that capitalist conditions create coercive and abusive situations for those in the sex industry, but carceral solutions don't address that underlying issue.
- Your younger sister: *points at a Maxim magazine cover* Isn't it wrong that there are all these sexualized pictures of women everywhere?
- You: It's wrong that the male gaze is all-pervasive and our idea of the ideal woman is profoundly racist, sizeist, ableist, and cissexist. It's also wrong that these images exist within the context of a violent patriarchal culture, but the images themselves are not wrong.
- Some rando in your ask box: How do we end the abuse of people in the sex industries?
- You: Let me link you to this blog by sex workers advocating for workers' rights.
- Your boyfriend: Why is there so much bad sex in porn?
- You: Let me show you this essay on porn by a sex worker.
- Your girlfriend: Stripping is exploitative.
- You: Let me show you this academic article written by a stripper.
- Your aunt: Dominatrices probably think they're empowered but really--
- You: Here's a thing written by a sex worker.
- Your grandpa: Prostitution--
- You: Here's a thing written by a sex worker.
- Your cat:
- You: Good point, let me read you this issue of Prose & Lore out loud.
- You: *signal boosts our words + shows up at rallies + emails legislators + gives orgs like Abeni + Sex Workers Project all your damn money*
Hey y’all it’s time for another Epicblogofponies Giveaway! Woo!
- First Place - An Octavia Funko figure, a Pinkie Pie’s Boutique figure, and a Crystal Rarity keychain.
- Second Place - A Derpy Funko figure, and a Lyrica Lilac blind bag.
- Third Place - A Funko Mystery Minis Spitfire.
- You don’t have to be following The Epicblogofponies to win
- One reblog enters you into the giveaway, don’t be spamming everyone’s dashboard, s’not cool. If you go around rebloggin’ it ten times a day, I’m afraid you’ll be disqualified.
- Make sure your inbox is open so I can tell you if you’ve won!
The giveaway will end on September 13th at 12pm Pacific Time. Winners will be chosen at random.
Good luck everyone! And thanks for your continued support!
We just passed a girl dressed in all black, including a black and white pinstriped fedora, black sunglasses, and dark red lipstick playing the elder scrolls theme on an electric keyboard with a trifold in front of her about saving the snow leopard.
I’m in love.
The inaugural TWOB Fest this weekend will raise money for an all-ages DIY show space in Philly, to open this fall.
My first piece for WXPN’s The Key is on this weekend’s TWOB Fest, which should be a lot of fun. Check it out!
Someone wrote a real chill piece of the fest. Tight
THIS WEEKEND IS TWOB FEST!!!
Ruben is in my list top 5 favorite people on the planet. Check out this article about him and the awesome stuff he’s doing
These are named after MONSTERS are you KIDDING ME if I don't get at least one of these I'm going to be very disappointed
- Vampire: Someone offers you a chance at immortality. Do you take it, and why or why not?
- Werewolf: If you had to spend your life with just one person, who would it be?
- Witch: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
- Ghost: Do you have any regrets?
- Frankenstein: Is someone telling you how to live your life, or are you an independent person?
- Mummy: If you were to fall into an eternal sleep, do you think anyone would miss you?
- Zombie: Do you miss anyone right now?
- Faerie: If you could get away with anything, what would you do?
- Nymph: What are you like when you’re by yourself?
- Mermaid: How far would you go to keep the one you love?
- Shapeshifter: What would you change about yourself?
- Banshee: If you knew one of your loved ones/best friends had only one day left to live, how would you spend that last day with them?
- Siren: If you could make anyone do anything, what would you make them do?
- Genie: If you had one wish that would come true and couldn’t be reversed, what would you ask for?
- Fury: What is a word/phrase that you dread to hear?
- Incubus: What would someone have to do to get in your pants?
- Succubus: What’s one thing you can’t live without?